понедельник, 12 декабря 2011 г.

DIY Huge Letter Art on the Cheap

DIY Huge Letter Art on the Cheap

Even though the nursery has a long way to go and will be under construction while we install new floors in the coming weeks, continually collecting and adding pieces is still a priority. Furniture and fixtures are on their way! I recently added a huge DIYed typographic piece to the otherwise bare room that was easy and cheap to make and I’m pretty smitten with the 30 minute project outcome:


DIY Huge Letter Art on the Cheap

I was inspired by this framed giant letter, but put my own twist on it. I already had the largest 28×40 Ribba frame in an aluminum finish sitting in a closet. I refreshed it with a few layers of gold spray paint and left the mat behind so the letters would be a full bleed in the frame.


DIY Huge Letter Art on the Cheap

The print itself is actually an “engineer print”–which is a large format black and white print on butcher paper, basically. The best part about these prints is they are very cheap. Our local print place, Alphagraphics (I know that Staples and some Fed Ex locations do similar engineer prints) has three different sizes for engineer prints 18×24 ($1.25), 24×36 ($2.25), or a 30×42 ($3.25). Since my Ikea frame was just smaller than 30×42, I went for that size. Like I said, I wanted the letters to fill the entire frame width-wise, so I mocked up a comparable paper size in illustrator and played with some typography until I was happy with it. Since my frame was 2″ narrower in width, I made sure to account for that, too.


DIY Huge Letter Art on the Cheap
I ended up using classic Helvetica in bold and moved the letters a little closer together. I also changed the opacity of the black to 78% so it wouldn’t be too stark for the rest of the nursery.

DIY Huge Letter Art on the Cheap

Four dollars later, we have our first piece of personalized art on the walls–and it’s huge! I’m not sure where in the room it will actually end up, but over the crib is definitely a contender. If you don’t already have this large frame on hand (about $24) or the spray paint (about $6), this project would cost a little more, but I love the way it turned out. It’s chic and sweet for a nursery, but could definitely go anywhere in a home, don’t you think?


Original article and pictures take www.chrislovesjulia.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий